Cardinal Gym at Trinity Valley Community College has a new look.
For the first time since the rich-in-tradition facility opened its doors 51 years ago, new theater-like seating will await fans.
The seating project, was completely funded by a generous gift of an alumna, was given formal approval Monday night by TVCC board of trustees. The TVCC Foundation board, which secured the gift, has also voiced approval.
"I appreciate and commend the vision of the board of trustees and foundation board for approving the purchase of new seating and renovation of Cardinal Gym," said TVCC President Dr. Jerry King. "The new seating and renovation will tremendously enhance the appearance, comfort and functionality for our students and fans."
"A much-anticipated dream has finally come true for TVCC, its students, alumni and friends because of a generous gift given by one of our beloved alumna," said Vice President of Institutional Advancement/Executive Director of TVCC Foundation Dr. Kristen Bennett . "This generous gift is going to change lives for generations to come. "
Construction was completed early-October.
The project called for red theater-like seating on both sides of Leon Spencer Court and red bleacher seating on the west end.
Also included in the project were:
- Removal of the crow's nest (press box);
- New lighting;
- Removal of the scorer's tower behind the scorer's table, allowing for full seating along the south side of the court;
- Three new scorer's tables;
- Two video platforms (one on each side of the court);
- Extension of the hallway from the men's basketball locker room, which will allow for entrance to the court on the west side;
- Conversion of a storage area adjacent to the weight room into a control room for Cardinal Sports Network
The first basketball game was played in Cardinal Gym in January of 1967.